Waters Edge is a splash of paradise in Colombo’s Concrete Jungle – located in Battaramulla, it’s a rich oasis with much lush greenery and some breathtaking views of the Diyawanna Lake.
Waters Edge is not a hotel – but it’s everything a hotel might be minus lodging. There is a bar, a couple of restaurants (one that floats), banquet halls for weddings and parties, conference rooms, a spa, salon, gym, swimming pool and lounge.
Alright so Waters Edge is a 5 star retreat, but you can’t exactly get a membership just for the gym. Getting a membership at Waters Edge means you’re paying for all their amazing facilities. A one year individual membership costs you Rs. 80,000.
So what does membership actually include?
– Gym – spacious and overlooks the Diyawanna Lake and golf course, the view is just gorgeous. All the treadmills face the lush greenery of the unfinished golf course; it certainly beats staring at a blank wall or the TV. There are 1 or 2 personal trainers at any given time. They charge a reasonable Rs. 500 per session, which happens to be cheaper than any of the other gyms we’ve come across.
– Swimming Pool – 25m long and there’s a baby pool. You can bring with you 2 guests, it’s Rs.500 for each additional guest. There are 2 or 3 Jacuzzis by the pool, so if you don’t fancy a swim you can always wash away your troubles with steamy bubbles of water.
– Changing Rooms – they are possibly the nicest I’ve ever used. The place is usually always clean and there’s enough space here to ride your bike – it’s crazy. There’s also a steam room and a ping pong table in the next room.
– Bottle Bank – you can store up to 6 bottles of spirits/whiskey, this is perfect for when you are entertaining guests. This will inevitably save you a lot on alcohol.
– Members Lounge – they have a pool table here and it’s a pretty nice place to have a drink or a quiet dinner. The service here is probably better than it is downstairs.
– Discounts – 15% on food and 10% at the spa.
So.. for a whopping Rs. 80,000 a person, is it worth it?
I would say yes (family membership – Rs. 114,000). Compared to most other places in Colombo, Waters Edge has a much better gym, a really nice pool, enormous changing rooms and cheaper personal trainers. They also have better parking, and the bottle bank facility will inevitably save you some dough in the long run.
The gym does not actually have as many machines as most of the more commercial gyms in Colombo, but it has the best atmosphere, it’s also really female friendly.
So, if you’re looking for more than just a gym, you can surely find it here.