The famous Batticaloa Fort that the Portuguese built in 1628 was captured by the Dutch when they first landed in 1638. The entrance still bears the insignia of the Dutch East India Company, although it is half-hidden behind a new sign that proclaims the Fort’s current occupants – the District Secretariat of Batticaloa. A short walk on the ramparts is a must to enjoy the spectacular view of the Batticaloa Lagoon and the few Dutch-era cannons that remain.
Batticaloa Fort pictures by Manoj, Dennis Sylvester Hurd and Mahesh
Look out for the Dutch East India inscription. Good place for sunrise.