The word home means different things to different groups of people. To you and me, home is probably where you would find security, love, care, protection and … dependable parents – the ideal picture. Home could also denote a place where you were left behind for whatever the reasons were.
Children in orphanages for most reasons end up in a home because of disease, poverty, natural disasters, abandonment, neglect, abuse and other related issues. Some children live with a blind, ill old relative who shows them the love they need but cannot provide the adequate children require. There are various reasons for children ending up in homes.
In the last month and a half, we have visited at least and over 15 institutions that take care of the needs of abandoned children, and all these homes are in our backyard. Homes such as these, where little children live, single parented, and children of circumstance growing up without a family to love them and give them what they need – the love and security of a mother and a father who loves them and wants them.
Society has a greater role to play in turning these children’s lives around. So we’ve made a list of the homes in need or support and care. Yes by all means, finance their needs, but don’t stop here. Do what you would do for your flesh and blood; treat the orphan with the same responsibility and time you would invest in your own.
We have only included only phone numbers, call them up, have a chat and drop in. Go with a group of young adults, go with the intention of spending a lot of time, play some cricket, talk with them; we can assure you, it will be the best couple of hours of your life. If you know of more, drop the names and the numbers in the comment section and we will update this post.
Colombo & Suburbs
- Sri Jinananda Development Centre, Colombo 4, Telephone 112 587 534
- Ebenezer Girls Home, Mt. Lavinia. 112 714 528
- Senarath Gunawardena Boys Home, Kalubowila, 112 727 580
- Vajira Development Centre, Pita Kotte 112 856 146
- Islamia, Ratmalana, 112 634 875
- Maw Sevana, Mattakkuliya, 112 529 560
- Hope Home, Ratmalana, 112 735 825
- Shepherd’s Heart Children's Home, Nawala, 112 863 456
- Shri Sanghamitta Ballika Development Centre, Kalubowila, 112 821 509
- Dharul Nusra, Kalubowila Dehiwela, 771 072 286
- Boys Industrial Home, Colombo 6, 112 587 175
- Sneha Development Centre, Colombo 4, 112 584 063
- Shilpa Development Home, Colombo 5. 112 369 533
- Boys Development Centre, Maharagama, 724 882 054
- Lankhadara, Colombo 6, 112 588 838
- SOS Children's Village, Piliyandala, 112 702 712
- Sucharithodaya, Maharagama, 112 850 346
- Sarvodaya Suwasetha Sewa Samithiya, Moratuwa, 112 642 036
- Tikiri Sewana State Adoption Children's Home, 081 238 814
- Werewelawatta Children's Detention Home, 081 231 0885
- Arudpany Girls' Home 652 247 249
- Manikkavasagar Boys Home 602 652 601
- Thilagavadiyar Girls' Home 652 250 189
It is not the physical pain that endangers orphans the most. It is the mental pain caused by stress from years and years of being neglected, pushed aside, disregarded, unloved, and made to feel undeserving, and in almost all cases, made to feel like a possession rather than an equal human being. Even more it is the lack of unconditional love, the right to be accepted, as a child and to be loved, as a child, no matter what you do is the most wounding.
— Roger Dean Kiser,