No doubt, 2016 has been a hot mess. We could have made a list of everything that went wrong in 2016 but that would have taken too long, so, instead we decided to make a list of things that could go right in 2017. Hello, positivity!
1) Significant improvements in the lives of women and children.
- Marital rape to be considered a crime (took us long enough!)
- Plans to decrease child marriage in the Muslim community by increasing the age of eligibility of marriage to 18 years.
To find out other policies that are to be implemented, click here.
2) World Bank stated the Sri Lankan Economy will grow by 5%
3) Animal Enclosures in the Dehiwala Zoo to expand & upgrade
The zoo, itself, cannot expand, but the plan is to shift many of the animals to the Pinnawala Zoo. This would mean that the animals remaining in the Dehiwala Zoo will be given bigger, better enclosures. Moreover, there are plans to keep the zoo open till 9.30PM and turn it into a night park of sorts, with recreational areas.
4) There are 27 public holidays in 2017
6 of which fall on a Monday and 4 of which fall on a Friday. You know what that means? Long weekends! Plan all your road trips and weekend getaways ahead. The remaining 17 days fall mid-week.
5) THE MOVIES!
2017 has so much in store in terms of movies. Marvel and DC will collectively be releasing 5 superhero movies throughout the year. The much awaited Star Wars VIII will also be out later on in 2017. Other notable movies include the newest addition to the Pirates of The Caribbean series, the remake of Jumanji, and Kingsman: The Golden Circle. To see all announced movies for 2017, click here.
6) A clean slate.
Let 2017 be the year you cut off loose ends, get your life in order and be the best version of you to date. Look forward to the small things in life, things that make you smile no matter how insignificant it may seem.