Awoooooooo! Big Bad Wolf (BBW) is back to Sri Lanka for the 3rd consecutive time! Thus, every reading type, kinda-poddak-withara-kiyawana-type and non-reader-but-likes-a-bargain type decided to make their way towards SLECC to see this great antic take place to join the bandwagon to get a piece of the action.
So here's a very pictured take on how BBW 2019 was like on the preview day, which was today, the 17th of October 2019.
No Backpacks, No Jackets and No Helmets
You should know that you're not allowed to take backpacks into the venue, so if you do happen to bring along a backpack, there'll be a small side of the entrance outside with the checkpoint where you can leave your stuff while you shop. Same applies to the jackets and helmets.
We highly suggest just leaving your bag at home or vehicle so you do not have to worry about it.
to books about pets and art,
to literal heaps of books that were pretty nice movies,
to books by Oprah,
to other stuff,
BBW has a lot to offer.
The selection this time is heaps better than the last year. With a better balance of things rather than just girl-next-door stories. So, if you're looking for some solid biographies and such, you should probably give it a shot this time around, and also stop by the crime/thriller section. It was awesome.
The Kids Section
The Kids section was pretty great too.
With books ranging from storybooks for teenagers to books like this one,
For The Non-Reading Type
For you peeps who don't do the whole reading thing but decide to show up. Fear not, you don't necessarily have to stand around looking bored.
You can stand around sniggering on the inside about the placement of some books.
The Comic Book Section
They've also got a couple of tables worth of Comic books, which was a highlight this year.
Other Facts You Should Know
- They've got a customer service table at the back with a database of all the books they have. So, if you're looking for a particular book, make sure to hit them up instead of trailing around looking for things.
- If this is your first time, you should know that the books they have are SUPER random. Go with an open mind and you won't be disappointed. Because if you take a list with you, you just might be.
- You can pay with both cash, card and WePay – a payment app by Sampath Bank.
- Sampath Bank also has this 12-month instalment plan with 0% interest for the books you buy. However, it's exclusively for Sampath Bank credit cardholders.
- And while you can't take a backpack with you, you are allowed to bring your own bag to carry your books without having to use one of the plastic bags at the register. They're gonna check your bag with the bill just to make sure that you don't steal anyway so you might as well help the planet while you're at it.
- They've got a small section at the entrance where you can buy and donate a book to a child in need.
- the entrance of SLECC comprised of a giant tent covering the carpark with food stalls like Crescent, vadei, iced tea and such taking up most of the space. If you're hungry after the haul, this is where you can grab a snack or two.
- The sale is happening from the 18th (Friday) to 28th (Monday) of October 2019 – open from 10 AM to 10 PM Monday to Thursday but from Friday to Sunday it's 24 hours of book frenzy y'all!
We think we've covered most of the important bits. So, Godspeed comrades, may the force be with you on this. Because while the preview day was pretty chilled out, we doubt it'll be the same from tomorrow.